Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Week 6, Thing #15: Read a few perspectives on Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries

OK, after taking a two week vacation from 23 Things, it's time to get back on track.

I read three of the articles that were suggested: 1) Away from the Icebergs by Rick Anderson, 2) Into a New World of Librarianship, and 3) To a Temporary Place in Time.

I think what I got of this, or "what Library 2.0 means to me", is that Library 2.0 seems to be the big "now" thing. I like it and I think it has some interesting uses. People are using the Internet more and more, so it seems logical that we start using it to enhance BCPL. I do think we need to use a little discretion and not go overboard with it though (this coming from a self proclaimed computer geek). Not to mention the fact if this is going to be the future, we'd better get our bandwidth up to speed (is blocking My Space, a virtual community, what we're trying to accomplish). Creating a virtual library community is great, having databases online is great, but I still think having important print material is still a good idea because one question always pops up in my mind when dealing with online information...what do we do when the power goes out?

No comments: